Mt. Vernon (893 acres)Local Weather
The Southwest Research, Extension and Education Center (SW-REEC) was established in 1959; the site represents various soil types in this region. Serving 22 counties, this center addresses the main agricultural concerns of area industries including beef, forage and horticultural crop production.
14548 Highway H
Mt. Vernon, MO 65712
Located 4 miles SW of Mt. Vernon.
Westbound: Exit 44 off I-44, turn left onto Highway H for 2 miles.
Eastbound: Exit 38 continue east 4 miles on south outer road.
For general questions, contact Sarah Grubaugh, 417-466-2148
- Director – Jay Chism, Chismj@missouri.edu
- Assistant Professor, Horticulture Research – Andy Thomas, ThomasAL@missouri.edu
- Senior Research Specialist, Agronomy – Matt Massie, MassieM@missouri.edu
- Farm Manager – Steve Stamate, Stamates@missouri.edu
- Beef genetics, nutrition and management systems.
- Horticultural and alternative crop research includes elderberry and grape cultivation.
- Monarch Waystation and pollinator education plots.
Extension & Education
- Career Exploration Day annually to local high schools.
- Workshops feature timely topics in ag and horticulture production.
- Education Center available for rent.
- CAFNR undergraduate and graduate students gain research and educational experience at AES REEC across the state.
- MU Extension – Agriculture and Environment Program